Friday, June 22, 2007

The beautiful city of Mostar

In Mostar, the light is magical. Is it because it the town is surrounded by mountains? I arrive by bus from Sarajevo. It is about noon on May 12, 2007. There are large bushes of rosemary and lavender just about everywhere in this very mediterranean town, sometimes used in street dividers like here.


These two bosnian kids playing with an old piece of rusty pipes saw me and my camera. Sensing a tourist, the older one quickly points to the old ottoman bridge (Stari Most), the pride and joy of mostarians, and says to me: "Old bridge, old bridge, one euro!" As if I did not already know! This makes me break into a big grin and I give him a euro. The younger one, not to be outdone by his brother (?), starts jumping up and down: "Old bridge, old bridge, old bridge one euro!" So there goes another euro, which I give him after I ask to take another picture of them.


There is the old bridge, the Stari Most, built during ottoman times (1566). Destroyed during the war in Bosnia in 1994 and rebuilt in 2004. It is a beauty. I keep staring at it from different angles and at different times of day. Under it flows the Neretva river, also an amazing beauty.



The bijeli bar is my favorite cafe/restaurant in Mostar. It is in the old town, a few steps away from the bridge. The view of the Neretva river from the terrasse is simply incredible. On the right, a friendly waiter working at the bijeli bar.




Two kids from Mostar saturday evening. This picture was taken on the grounds of one of the mosques. Hey guys, the email you gave me so that I could send you this picture keeps bouncing. If you see this, feel free to grab this picture from this post...


Saturday evening in Mostar. The tourists, which packed the bridge during the hot hours of the day, watching the bridge divers, are now mostly out-of-sight, either in restaurants or back on the buses which likely brought them over from the croatian coast a few hours away. This is a quiet time in the town and the light is amazing, enveloping buildings, stone walls, trees with a warm orange glow.

No comments: