Saturday, August 18, 2012

People of Belgrade










This series of images is of people photographed in various Belgrade settings - on the trolley buses, tramways, city buses, restaurants, ferries, on Ada Ciganlija and on Veliko Ratno Ostrvo ("Great War Island"). Most of them were taken on the sly without the subjects noticing that they were being photographed. Because of this, they tend to show people in a rather relaxed, unselfconscious pose.

One of the exceptions to this rule is of the tramway driver who was bringing us back home from Topcider (photo above). In this case I went up to the front of the tram and asked (in Serbian) if I could take her picture. She was a bit surprised ("Sto?" - "Why?") but graciously accepted after I told her, by way of explanation, that I was a tourist from America. As we left the tram, I thanked her again and she acknowledged this with a smile.

No comments: